Rechercher dans ce blog

Thursday, August 12, 2021

Five Questions With Matt Mays - Huddle - Huddle Today

Area 506’s Waterfront Concert Series wraps up this weekend in uptown Saint John.

This weekend, concert-goers will enjoy performances from headliners Measha Brueggergosman on Friday night and Matt Mays on Saturday.

Since Area 506 is all about celebrating New Brunswick and Maritime pride, we’re asking some of this year’s headliners five questions about their favourite Maritime and New Brunswick memories and experiences.

Last week reporter Liam Floyd spoke with Joel Plaskett ahead of his show on Long Wharf. This week, Associate Editor Cherise Letson chats with Matt Mays.

Listen to the full chat about Matt’s favourite spot in the Maritimes, his love for a good donair, his current favourite Maritime song and more in the player above or read the interview below:

Where is your favourite Maritime place to visit on vacation?
I got to say it’s Lawrencetown Beach because it’s kind of close to where I grew up.  I started surfing there, and I just all of my best memories in all sorts of stages in my life are there. It’s sort of the place I feel the most home and comfortable.  It’s the most sort of magical spot on earth for me.
What is your most memorable New Brunswick gig?
That’s a real toughy. There’s been a lot of great ones. We did a New Year’s [show] in Saint John probably 10 years ago, and it started snowing and it was outside. I think that was probably my favourite. We were in a little bandstand down by the Delta [Hotel] at the time, and the crowd was just incredible as it always is.  I think that was probably my favourite. I mean, but again, there’s been so many incredible ones. But I really have fond memories of that show.
What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Saint John?
I’d say Reggie’s [Restaurant]. I know, he’s not around anymore, but I always really liked that place. I always looked forward to going there, it was one of my favourite things about going to Saint John.
But I just think having so many great fun times around just in the downtown core and so many good shows. I always seem to play outdoors there and the 506 Festival last time we played was so great. I think just playing shows and wandering around and having fun and meeting new people and each other. It’s always been such a welcoming town. Ever since I first started playing there in the Guthrie’s in the 90’s I’d always look forward to going to Saint John. I just look forward to sort of the overall vibe, just that welcoming feeling I suppose.
What is your favourite song by a Maritime artist?
What is your Maritime meal? Whether it’s something you make at home yourself or buy at a restaurant.
I’m gonna have to say King of Donair. Straight up. No lettuce. Just this normal awesome donair perfectly dressed is probably my favourite.  I live in Ontario these days, so sometimes I get a Jessie’s Donair because they open up a Jesse’s in Toronto, which is awesome. You don’t realize when you don’t get home as much as you want how much a donair will take you right back to 3:30 am with your best friends having a good time. It’s not even that they’re good. I just do it because it makes me time-travel to those good times.

Adblock test (Why?)


Five Questions With Matt Mays - Huddle - Huddle Today
Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment

Take Five: The last surviving dove - Financial Post

Breadcrumb Trail Links PMN Technology PMN Business Author of the article: Article content Of all the central banks which unt...